Minutes of the meeting
Held on 25th March 2013 at the Conference Hall Rilang
Member Present – Annexure I
The meeting was presided by Shri. W. M. S. Pariat I.A.S Chief Secretary and Chairman of the State Executive Committee (C.E.O) at the outset, the Chief Secretary welcomed all the senior officials/members of the State Executive Committee to its 1st Meeting. The Chairman requested the Mission Director State Resource Centre for Women Member Secretary to highlights as per the agenda. The Mission Director in its introductory remarks informed the members that the State resource Centre for Women (State Resource Centre for Women) is at its infant stage, just recently set up 7 (seven) months ago during 2012 – 2013. The objective of State Resource Centre for Women is towards Holistic Empowerment of Women. To achieve convergence of Women Centric Programme / Schemes of various Central and State Government and gender mainstreaming of Government programmes. It will facilitate Government and other stakeholders involved in Women Empowerment issues to implement Gender Sensitive Programme.
Thereafter, the Mission Director made a power point presentation highlighted the issues as per the agenda also focussed the presentation more on the Action Plan of 2013 – 14. After a thread bare discussion and interaction on the presentation, the Chairman and Members put forth the following Comments / Suggestive measures with regard to Action Plan (2013 – 14).
- Shri. W.M.S. Pariat Chief Secretary and Chairman of the Committee suggested to include the Banking sectors as indicators in the action Plan. The Chairman of the Committee inquire the time line for operational of District Convergence and Facilitation Centre at Jaintia Hills District. The Chief Secretary also pointed out that the Chalo Gaon ki ore programme of NCW may be requested for covering all the eleventh (11) Districts in the State instead of only 5 Districts as projected in the action plan. The Mission Director assured the Chairman that the suggestions will be complied with and incorporated in the action plan.
- The Commissioner and Secretary Finance, Personnel, etc suggested State Resource Centre for Women to prepare a calendar of activities so that the performance can be review. The member also inquire regarding the monitoring process and the Mission Director responded that monitoring is part of the action plan and the National Mission for Empowerment of Women Govt. of India is monitoring regularly the activities of SRCW. Further the Commissioner and Secretary Finance also suggested the SRCW to create a website.
- The Commissioner and Secretary Community and Rural Development mentioned that the Department has already established a network of SHGs in the State. The member pointed out that the State Resource Centre for Women should avoid formation of new Self Help Group (SHGs) as it may overlapped or create duplications of services. The Mission Director clarified that the role of State Resource Centre for Women is to strengthen the convergence mechanism and to facilitate on the existing programmes of Government for women.
- The Commissioner and Secretary Commerce and Industries informed of the schemes and programmes available for the benefit of women such as Skill Development for Women Entrepreneurs and suggested that the State Resource Centre for Women can facilitate so as to enable the women group to avail these schemes.
- The Secretary Health and Family Welfare mentioned that there are many schemes of NRHM for women. However, most of the people in rural areas lack awareness of the Government Schemes and Programmes. Hence, there is a need to create more awareness and perhaps SRCW can play a positive role in dissemination of information to reach out to the target group.
- The Director Social Welfare observed that the time line indicated in the action plan appears to have a wide gap. The member suggested the programmes and activities of SRCW requires to be spread throughout the year and to conduct the activities on a quarterly basis. The Mission Director also agreed but it all depends upon availability of fund. The Director Social Welfare assured the Chairman that the DCFC Jaintia Hills will be made operational within April 2013. The member also proposed to expand the coverage of DCFC to Garo Hills beside Jaintia Hills and suggested that the same may be proposed to Govt. of India.
- Smt. T. Phanbuh Chairperson Meghalaya State Commission for Women (MSCW) informed the members that there are schemes from Central Board for Workers Education Ministry of Labour Govt. of India such as Education awareness for rural women, Adolescence and suggested the State Resource Centre for Women to find out detailed information.
- Smt. O. B. Tariang Chairman Meghalaya State Social Welfare Board also suggested to give a space in the action plan for the State Board as one of the indicators for convergence.
- Sr. Judith Shadap Executive Director WISE expressed concern regarding the high rate of teenage pregnancy in Meghalaya. The member suggested that sensitisation programme should also focus for both gender. The Chairman suggested that WISE and SRCW to jointly consult in addressing the issue effectively.
- The Member Secretary informed the members of certain issues that need to be addressed and as desired by NMEW Govt. of India such as –
- Evolve a state policy for Empowerment of Women.
- Addressed the issue of teenage pregnancy.
- Bring out a compendium of schemes and programmes for women. The Mission Director informed the members that the SRCW is designing a proforma to collect information from line departments, banking sector and NGOs on schemes/programmes having impact on women. On completion of the proforma, the member requested the Principal Secretary Social Welfare to kindly take up with the concern line departments/banking sector from the administrative level.
- Undertake research studies and create update booklets and legal literacy materials in local language.
- State Govt. to furnish the information to National Mission for Empowerment of Women (NMEW) Goverment of India regarding the scheme of One Stop Crisis Centre for Women (OSCC).
The Mission Director highlighted the constraints of SRCW viz. Delay in release of funds for the year 2012 – 13, the provision earmarked for house rent, stationery and miscellaneous as per Govt. of India norms is not adequate. The member also pointed out that the post of accountant is not included as per Govt. of India norms. However the member requested the Director Social Welfare to consider placing an accountant temporarily from amongst the existing staff to attach to State Resource Centre for Women.
- The members approved the Action Plan of 2013 – 14 a total budget of Rs. 56.80 (Rupees Fifty Six lakhs and eighty thousand) for administrative cost and programme activities. The suggestion of the members above is to be incorporated in the Action Plan.
- The Chief Secretary (Chairman) stressed the importance of District Meetings and regular review meeting at the District level as half the potential of the project implementation is at the District level.
- The Chief Secretary (Chairman) emphasised for proper documentation and follow up action of all the programme / activities conducted by SRCW. The Chairman also mentioned that the State Mission Authority meeting is to be held soon. The Mission Director is asked to prepare the materials for the SMA meeting.
- The Chief Secretary also mentioned the need to review the powers and functions of the society and to identify gaps / problems areas.
- The Principal Secretary Social Welfare also informed the proposal for One Stop Crisis Centre for Women is under process and the same will be communicated to Govt. of India shortly.
- The member suggested to have a separate Human Resource Manual regarding the facilities for staffs of SRCW as being done in C & RD – Meghalaya Rural Development Society.
- The Director of Social Welfare assured the Chairman that the DCFC Jaintia Hills will be made operational within 2013. The member also proposed to expand the coverage of DCFC to Garo Hills besides Jaintia hills and suggested that the same may be proposed to Govt. of India.
- The Director of Social Welfare has agreed to place an accountant temporarily from amongst the existing staffs to assist the SRCW in maintenance of accounts. The member suggested the Mission Director to send the proposal officially.
The meeting ended with a vote of thanks from and to the Chair.
(Chairman of the State Executive Committee) C.E.O